Finishing Touches Tuesday: Christmas Traditions

The other day I was reflecting back on all the Holiday Traditions that my family has done for years that I love so very much. Now that we have our own family we were talking about what traditions we wanted to keep and which ones we wanted to start! Such a fun brainstorming conversation.

So, I thought I would share with you my three favorites! As most of you know, my family and I are from South Africa. With us being so far from home it was only natural to hold on to some of the strong family traditions.

1. Christmas Crackers! If you have never seen one, they basically are a giant popper with a toy, joke and hat inside. We always have a blast opening them up, laughing at the silly jokes and looking super styled out in the paper hats. One year my cracker feel on the burning candle and within seconds we had a full on fire spreading down the table. So note to self- be a bit careful with these guys :) See Friday's DIY post for directions on how to make your own.

2. Bobotie: This South African original is similar to meatloaf, but so much better. A slightly sweet curry flavors ground beef with a milk and egg custard on top. It's delicious! Click here for the recipe!

3. Apple and Mixed Berry Pies!!! This year it is my duty and I am making an Ina Garten Recipe. See below:

The day would not be complete without some of the other traditions: Candle Light Christmas Eve Service, Irish Breakfast w/ Xmas Music Playing in the Background, Throwing the Football in the street w/ all my Brothers, Pre Dinner Run, A Good Meal with Lots of Laughter, Games, and a Hot Tub to Top off the Night! Oh I can't wait for Xmas....




PhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails